Candidate Application Process
Congratulations for considering to run for NFTY-SAR's Regional Board! First, make sure you and your parents have read the Information Letter to Candidates and Parents.
Once you've read the information letter, here is everything you need to know about the election process:
- Candidates should read the description of the position in which they are interested.
- Candidates should arrange meetings with their Rabbis and Temple Youth Group Advisor to discuss their candidacy for Regional Board. If you do not belong to a congregation or do not have a TYG Advisor, please contact NFTY-SAR Regional Director Adam Griff.
- Candidates must also have a conversation with the person who is currently holding the position they intend to run for. This conversation is mandatory and will serve to inform the potential candidate about what exactly the position entails. Conversations can be had in person or over phone, Skype, Oovoo, etc. Text message conversations are not sufficient for fulfilling this requirement. You can find the list of current board members and their email addresses here.
- Candidates AND their parent(s) must also participate in a video conference call with Regional Director, Adam Griff and current NFTY-SAR President, Charlie Forstein, on Tuesday, January 8 at 8:00pm. This is to ensure that the candidate knows expectations about being on regional board ahead of time, and is clear about the realities of the election process.
- Prospective candidates must declare their intention to run by filling out the Candidate Information Form no later than December 10, 2018. Then, by December 31, you must submit the additional materials - most importantly, your Platform Sheet. Learn more about the platform sheet requirements.
- In addition to the Platform Sheet, candidates are invited to submit one optional supplemental item that will help the region see what they've accomplished. For example, a CVP candidate could submit a t-shirt design or slideshow. An RCVP could submit a d'var Torah or Havdallah. Not every position will have an obvious thing to submit, and supplemental items are not required. If you do choose to submit something, it should be easy to see online - most likely it will either be a video on YouTube or Vimeo, or a PDF of a document. You should NOT create something new just for being a candidate - the supplemental item should be something you actually created and used previously. If you have questions about your item, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In addition to the Candidate Information Form and Platform Sheet, candidates must submit signed copies of the Parent and Advisor/Clergy Certification forms.
- Each candidate will have time to give a speech during Winter Kallah. The speech may not exceed 4 minutes except for presidential candidates who will be granted 5 minutes.
- Candidates will also participate in “meet the candidates” sessions at the event, prior to elections. More details will be disclosed to candidates on the conference call on January 9.
Candidate Information Form is due no later than December 10, 2018. The Platform Sheet, supplemental materials, and Certification Forms are due by December 31, 2018. They must be received by the NFTY-SAR regional advisor by this date electronically (by email).
The Candidate Information Form is an online form for you to submit. The Platform Sheet and Certification Forms are to be submitted as PDF files. If you need assistance with that, please contact the Regional Director. Please save each document separately, and name them as follows:
Position-YourName-Supplemental.pdf (optional, could also be a link to a video)